Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Analyzing What We Say


          Hip hop music was born in an era of racial tension, and political uncertainty, nurtured with the intentions of being the voice of people once unheard. The lyrical aspect of hip hop music was once regarded as the aspect that separated it from other genres. MCs took the time to mold the lyrics in a track, infusing them with various elements of figurative language, aligning the words to tell an untold story, and presenting it to the world with innovative instrumentals that relayed an intended message. Nowadays, if the beat isn't banging, no one is listening to it. Nine times out of ten, we find ourselves listening to music that we only know the hook to. Or the song is so pathetic that we just make loud obscene noises while doing the Beef It Up and violently shaking our heads in awkward directions.     

          I personally feel like I can't talk lyrical contributions in hip hop today without talking about controversially the best lyrical artist out right now. Kendrick Lamar. Out of all his songs, I have to discuss "Poetic Justice." He took a sensual Janet Jackson sample and turned it into a tale of the dangerous side of love. I find this song to be such a great representation of Kendrick's musical genius because many samples have been done using this particular Janet Jackson song, most notably Twista's "Wetter". Now, I have nothing bad to say about Twista's use of the instrumentals, but when Kendrick picked it up and used Janet's vocals to compliment his rapping, I felt like I was having a turnaround moment with hip hop music.




           Above I have provided the video to Kendrick Lamar’s “Poetic justice.” The video really helps make sense of the actual song and better explains Kendrick’s writing style.

           When you look up the term Poetic Justice, you find that it is a literary device in which virtue is ultimately rewarded or vice punished, often by an ironic twist of fate related to the character's own conduct. The lyrics below show the pure genius in Kendrick’s use of extensive figurative language in his music. I will add my two cents in parenthesis.

(He is telling us that love is more complicated than being as simple as a verb. It’s like he is saying that although love is a four-letter word, it embodies many meanings as well as many aspects.)
Call me crazy, We can both be insane
A fatal attraction is common
And what we have common is pain
(These lines suggest the attraction of two people be it predestined or coincidental.)
Read slow and you'll find gold mines in these lines
Sincerely, yours truly
And right before you go blind
(A lot of time people like to say that “love is blind.” This last line mimics that old saying by bringing the entire meaning of the song together. It’s saying that you have to listen and pay attention to the relationships that seem to be engulfed in love, because sometimes love has nothing to do with it, and it just becomes a fatal attraction. )



Lyrics taken from rapgenius.com
Video courtesy of youtube.com

15 comments:

  1. Pretty good blog, I wish you could have chosen another artist than Kendrick Lamar to avoid repetition, but Kendrick Lamar is raw nonetheless. I think swimming pools would have been a better example. One question: does drake help or hurt the track?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drake is always a good feature, but I feel like Drizzy wasn't on the same page as Kendrick

      Delete
  2. You are 100% right about how we only listen to music if the beat is banging. Guilty as charged. And to answer Benoy, I think Drake always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendrick Lamar was a really good example to use but I agree with Benoy, maybe another example of a different artist would've been useful. Nonetheless, I like how you provided your own annotations of the given song(which was a great example, by the way), because everyone has different interpretations so its good to hear ideas that are different from one's own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you that beats catch the attention of the listener much more than lyrics now a days which is a shame. Yes, while beats are awesome the lyrics mean so much more. This was definitely a good example and you portrayed it very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fact that you mentioned the Janet Jackson sample really pulled the blog together. It shows Kendrick's sensual views of Janet Jackson's song, while he also gets to put his on lyrics on the same song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you showed the difference between the meaning of the Janet Jackson song and how Kendrick turned that into a song about the dangerous side of love. A suggestion for someone you could have used is J.Cole who I think is just as much a lyrical genius as Kendrick

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think that Kendrick is the best lyricist out now,(maybe the best mainstream one.)I also thought you could have strayed away from rap genius just because the first line (If I told you that a flower bloomed in a dark room, would you trust it?) could just mean 'do you believe what I say?' Overall decent analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that there are many better lyricists out there today, but nonetheless Kendrick was a good choice. His poetic vibe to all of his music is reminiscent of old school hip hop

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kendrick's songs always make me want to sit down and actually pay attention to the words and to figure out the meanings behind them. He's just that good of a lyricist. I was just talking about this song with some friends the other day and baout what the lyrics meant so I'm actually glad you analyzed them for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Song was quality, and allows you to make the example of Kendricks figurative language.. While Im not that big of a Kendrick fan, i thought this song definitely allowed the listener to see his creative lyrical style along with a very smart call to use the Janet sample in the song. Really sets the mood of the love song he is trying to make while holding it down lyrically.

    --The model in Drake's bed during his verse in the video is ridiculous, must see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This song is beautiful and I'm glad you also chose a Kendrick song for this topic. Kendrick really is the shit, especially right now. Good explanation of the lyrics. I didn't know that was a Janet Jackson sample! I always wondered what it was but I never actually took the time to look it up so thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great analysis and especially with the use of Kendrick Lamar.Also your description really captivated what you were trying to portray.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like how you dissected the song by adding your own thoughts on the lyrics at certain times. Also, Kendrick Lamar is the bomb, can't not enjoy a blog where we get to kick it to Kendrick's music.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that you added your own interpretation of the lyrics in parentheses. I've only heard that song a few times before but after reading the lyrics and seeing the deeper meaning, I like it better now than I did before.

    ReplyDelete